Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Lets Talk About The Walking Dead Pt. 3



The Walking Dead, season 1 episode 3 "Tell It To The Frogs" is the first episode to have no plot points from the book in it. This episode is its own thing. And yes, it still sucks. As if you couldn't tell from the last two blogs I have written about the AMC adaptation of The Walking Dead series, I am not a fan.

This episode opens with the racist, Dixson, still hand cuffed to the roof. He is now completely insane and yelling at himself as the infected claw at the door to come get him. Right after that it cuts to Rick and another survivor, not one from the books so I can't recall his name, talking about leaving Dixson on the roof. This is the most awkward way to introduce a new character ever. I even wrote down the dialog from this scene, it was the bad.

Survivor: Don't you feel bad about leaving him up there to die like that?

Rick: No. He was a danger to himself and all of us. I did what I had too.

Survivor: Well you might not be mad but know who will? His brother.
* Dramatic head turn*
Darrell.

Sorry is Darrell supposed to be a threatening name? Am I supposed to already know about Darrell? Why is this name drop so tense? Darrell is not in the books and this is the first I've ever heard of him. This whole scene just made me feel like I was missing something. The awkward line delivery helped too.

After that scene we get to finally see the survivor's camp, and I must say it looked pretty good. Lori, Carl, and Shane talking. Shane is acting very much like a step dad; I have a problem with this. In the books Lori and Shane have a one night thing and that's what causes Lori to have the baby later in the series. Since this plot point needs to be established for later in the series Lori and Shane have to get together. For some reason though in the show there relationship is more like a couple. This is weird because the outbreak happened one about a week ago. Maybe its just me but I would think that I would need more than a week to get over my husband that I had a kid with. Whatever though.

Rick and all the survivors from the city arrive at the camp. This was another weird scene. In the book 10 survivors are living at this camp, that's counting Rick. In the show when Rick arrives there seems to be quite a lot of people.
I can count 14 people in this photo.

All right so we have 14 people in that frame, right after that it cuts to a different shot where we see 6 other people. That's 20 people right there, maybe there is more off camera! There are so many people when it gets dark they actually have two different fires lit! They couldn't all fit around one fire! My point here is that the writers on this show have come up with way to many new people.

Later that night the time comes for Rick to tell Darrell that he left his brother to die on the roof. Darrell freaks out, and some how Rick, T-Dog, Glenn and Darrell decide to go back into the city to save him. Also Rick dropped a bag of guns on his way into the city, that's what makes the trip worthwhile I guess. Another thing I don't quite get. Everyone in the camp is anti-gun. Guns are too loud and draw unneeded attention to the camp. They seem almost pointless to even have. Why even go back for them than? Seems like a stupid way to risk 4 lives.

While Rick and the others go on an awesome adventure into the city, we get to watch Shane teach Carl how to catch frogs. Because that is a skill you are definitely going to use during the zombie apocalypse. It's just a lame way to show that Shane is acting like a step dad to Carl. This was boring to watch, good thing it cuts to all the ladies sitting around the lake talking about there periods and vibrators. No joke. That is actually what they talk about.

This looks like a lower budget version of Sex & The City.

Suddenly out of the blue this guy, who talks just like Hank Hill from King Of The Hill, walks up to them and starts yelling at them. I couldn't really pay much attention to what he was saying; I was too focused on how much like Hank Hill he was. He even says Hanks catch phrase. "I'll tell you hwat". It's not like a one time thing that he says this, almost every other line this guy has is I'll tell you hwat. Anyways the yelling escalates and he eventually slaps one of the women. By the way before he slaps her he says, "You don't tell me hwat! I tell you hwat!" Once again it is hard to take in the seriousness of the scene when all I hear are King Of The Hill lines. Even if he weren't saying these lines I wouldn't care. Who are these people anyways? They are not in the books and this is the first time I've seen them in the show so why should I even care about theirproblems? I just met them.
I'll tell you hwat.

The episode comes to an end with a scene of Rick and the others returning to the roof top only to find a bloody saw and hand where Dixson was. Darrell screams "no" for 2 minutes straight;yes I timed it. And it fades to black. Nothing from this episode happened in the book. We are now half way through the first season of this show and were not even through the first 100-page comic book it's based on yet. Pick up the pace walking dead. I don't care about all these new people, just fallow the books. They are good, what your coming up with on your own is not.

No comments:

Post a Comment