Monday, May 17, 2010

My Weekend On The Internet.

The Internet, in my mind, the best thing ever made for any purpose ever. This weekend I spent most of my Internet time on two websites, I would like to discus my findings with you.

Have you ever heard of the website Chatroulette? No? Well I'll give you the story on it. Chatroulette is a site that was made by a 17 year old Russian boy for the reason that he thought it would be cool. But what is it? Chatroulette is a website that pairs you with a stranger from anywhere in the world. Once you are paired with a stranger you video/text/audio chat with them or you can just click the next button and be paired with another person. It is a great site for people to come together a discuss there thoughts in a polite manner, yeah that's a total lie. At any given time the site has 35,000 people on it, about 100 of them have clothes on. Most of the time I was on Chatroulette people were jerkin it, cause you know I just don't see that enough in a normal day. Besides seeing naked dudes I also got a good number of people flipping me off than going away, oh and one time I saw a girl, she skipped me. I saw one more thing that bothered me slightly, it was a room with a dead guy hanging himself, of course I had to look into this a little bit.

The hanging man is not actually a guy that killed himself, In fact its far from it. The hanging man is an art project by "Internet artists" Eva and Franco Mattes. Eva and Franco do these kind of projects and post the best results of there art on there website, www.0100101110101101.org. The artists said that they were shocked by peoples reactions to this project. I think that this one is my favorite of all of them.
The rest of the gallery can be viewed here. As I said early Eva and Franco have a number of projects that they have done, here are my favorites. Life Sharing, What is it? Life Sharing was a project that involved the artists opening there computer to the world and giving the people the ability to view all of there text documents, all of there photos, videos you name it! The project ended in 2003. Traveling by Telephone, what was it? Traveling by telephone was an art exhibit of photos taken of people looking at photos of photos taken from video games. Confusing? Yeah I know, here is an example to help you understand what I'm talking about.

The Game photos are from "Half Life 2" Nerds FTW! (FTW= For the win)

Finally my favorite piece by Eva and Franco, Biennale.py. What is it? It's a computer virus that doubles as a work of art. Pure awesome.

As i stated at the start of this paper, I was on two websites this weekend. What was the other one? It's weird.

Ever see music videos that are so bad that the band in it knows that it's bad so than they don't take it seriously? Ever seen a music video that is just horrible, but the band is dead serious?
This happened when I watched Dennis Madalone's video "America We Stand As One." Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for pride in your country, but this guy takes it a little bit to far. Before you read any further, please watch the music video here. Once at the site just click the tab "Music Video."

Since he did put this on the Internet, there is going to be some haters, a lot of them. So when people hate you what's the one thing that you just shouldn't do? How about post your home phone number on the Internet.
Yeah, I got the Dennis Madalone wallpaper, don't be haten!

I know it's a little hard to see but if you look to the right of the picture of Dennis in a pile of puppys you can see it (1-323-462-2301) Needles to say, I called Dennis to see if he would be interested in playing Ketchikan for Christmas in June. This is how my talk with him went.
Ring Ring

Stranger: Hello?

Me: Hello! Is Dennis there?

Stranger: May I ask who is calling?

Me: Yes, my name is West.

Stranger: Hello West, may I ask why you would like to speak to Dennis today?

Me: I just was blown away by his music and was wondering if he would be interested in playing a Christmas show.

Stranger: (in a very surprised tone) Are you serious?

Me: I'm 100% serious!

Stranger: Well I'll leave a note for Dennis so that he knows you called and I'll have him get back to you as soon as he can.

Me: Thank you.

Click

24 hours pass.

Ring Ring

Stranger: Hello?

Me: Hello, it's West. I called yesterday about Dennis playing a show for us during Christmas in June.

Stranger: Oh yeah hey! Dennis is busy working on Star Trek right now.

Me: (in my head) WTF. (What I actually said) Oh well just makes sure that he gets the message for me.

Stranger: You know that Dennis isn't a musician right? He only wrote that one song.

Me: (Just learning this information) Yeah, that's all we need.

Stranger: So let me get this straight. You want Dennis to fly to where ever you are...

Me: Alaska.

Stranger: You want Dennis to fly to Alaska to play one song for you during Christmas?

Me: Christmas in June.

Stranger: Umm I'll let him know that.

Click


I'm still waiting to hear back from Dennis,I'll more than likely call him every day until he calls me back.

No comments:

Post a Comment